Thursday, February 19, 2026
HomeFeatureCapas slams BCDA over waste facility: 'This is an insult'

Capas slams BCDA over waste facility: ‘This is an insult’

CAPAS, Tarlac (Feb. 19, 2026) — The Sangguniang Bayan of Capas has passed a resolution expressing strong opposition to the Bases Conversion and Development Authority’s proposed waste-to-energy facility in Barangay O’Donnell.

The resolution was passed following a heated committee hearing where Mayor Atty. Roseller “Boots” Rodriguez declared, “Ngayon pa lang po ay sinasabi ko na sa inyo, tumututol po kami.”

The committee hearing of the whole, a joint legislative and executive effort held at the Capas Legislative Building on February 18, 2026, was called to address a letter of concern from Punong Barangay Wendell Mercado regarding the BCDA project in his barangay.

During the hearing, it was revealed that BCDA equipment had already been delivered to the site without prior coordination with the barangay or local government.

Vice Mayor Alex Espinosa, who presided over the hearing, showed photographs of the equipment on monitors.

“Para na itong pambabastos sa LGU,” Espinosa exclaimed.

The Government Owned and Controlled Corporation (GOCC) representatives admitted the equipment was already on site but claimed no mobilization had begun.

Mayor: No Prior Consultation
Mayor Rodriguez disclosed that BCDA officials previously visited his office with printed Google maps that did not show nearby houses and barangays. He said that the BCDA told him they would first secure the barangay captain’s approval before returning for further discussions.

“Ang sinasabi naman po sa Local Government Code, it’s clear, whatever the project of the national agency, that will affect the environment and the community, that there should be a prior consultation,” Rodriguez said.

“What you told us before, it’s not a prior consultation. Inabisuhan niyo po kami noon na itatayo na. So, it’s not a consultation,” the two-term mayor said.

He emphasized that the BCDA’s information drive at the barangay hall does not constitute proper consultation.

The mayor also raised questions about the closure of the Metro Clark Waste Management Management Corp.’s (MCWMC) landfill in Sitio Kalangitan, Barangay Cutcut II, which the community had already accepted.

“Ang tanong po namin sa ngayon, doon po ba sa Kalangitan landfill nakapag-submit na po ba or meron na po ba kayong closure plan sa landfill doon? Alam naman po natin na ang landfill kapag iniwan na, 30 years po ang hihintayin bago magiging maayos yung lupa,” Rodriguez said.

DENR: No Permit, Project Illegal Without Compliance
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources-CENRO Capas clarified that they have not issued any permit to BCDA for the project. A DENR representative stated that social acceptability from residents is the primary requirement.

“Sa part naman po ng DENR, once na meron po silang social acceptability… , doon na po kami papasok,” the representative said. “Pero ang unang-una po yung social acceptability of the residents, ‘yun po yuna unang nating kukunin.”

The councilors pointed out that without complying with the DENR requirements under Republic Act 9003, the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act, the project is illegal.

“Napakaliwanag na di porket pare-parehas na nasa gobyerno, ay hindi na tayo susunod sa mga kakailanganing dokumento na hihingiin ng batas. Sana ay mag-comply po kayo,” one councilor stated.

Barangay Captain: Activities Continue Despite Calls to Stop
Barangay Captain Mercado reported that BCDA personnel have been conducting activities in the area almost weekly despite his calls for suspension pending discussion.

“Ang sabi ko nga po sa kanila na huwag munang magde-draining, pag-usapan muna namin pero patuloy pa rin po yung pagde-draining nila, napakakulit po nila,” Mercado said.

Health and Environmental Concerns Raised
Councilor Juliet Cabagan Jimenez, chairperson of the Committee on Health, cited multiple concerns including respiratory problems, contamination of toxic chemicals, smell and noise pollution, and soil contamination.

Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Officer Gener Tanhueco questioned the project’s viability.

“Mas mahal po ang production ng paggawa ng kuryente kaysa dun sa nakukuha nilang kuryente, kaya hindi ito viable sa ating lugar,” Tanhueco said, citing earlier studies.

Tanhueco also raised inconsistencies in the GOCC’s planning, recalling that during the March 2023 anniversary of Metro Clark Waste Management, BCDA officials were present when the erstwhile sanitary landfill operator announced they would construct a waste-to-energy project in their area.

“So, how come, after three years, two years … biglang pinasara ang Metro Clark? Hindi kinonsider ang waste-to-energy na pino-propose nila. Tapos biglang-bigla, yun nga magtatayo [ng waste-to-energy project] sa Brgy. O’Donnell?,” the environment official said.

MCWMC’s operation of the Kalangitan landfill ended in 2024 after a contentious legal battle with the BCDA’s Clark Development Corporation.

BCDA Unable to Answer, Requests Reschedule
The representatives sent by the BCDA were not able to answer most of the local leaders’ queries.

BCDA representatives Fatima de Jesus and another unnamed official apologized for the absence of any technical personnel in their team, saying they were unable to provide comments on the O’Donnell project details. They requested a rescheduled hearing so technical experts could explain the waste-to-energy facility and water study.

The representatives clarified that the project is a waste-to-energy facility, not a landfill, and assured that all concerns raised during the hearing would be relayed to BCDA management.

Resolution Passed, Equipment Removal Demanded
Councilor Drigs Dueñas, chairperson of the Committee on Environmental Protection, moved to pass a resolution expressing strong opposition to the construction of the waste-to-energy facility in Barangay O’Donnell. The motion was approved with no objection.

Mayor Rodriguez also formally requested BCDA to remove all equipment from the site and halt all activities there to ease the fears of residents.

Councilor Ariel Batican summed up the sentiment of the body: “Hindi po kami tutol sa pag-angat sa bayan ng Capas pero ang tunay na pag-angat at pag-asenso ng isang bayan ay dapat walang maiiwan, walang nape-perwisyo, walang naaagrabyado.”

The hearing was adjourned with the Sangguniang Bayan’s position clear: they are not against development, but they will prioritize the health and welfare of their constituents.

“Malinaw po ang posisyon ng lokal na gobyerno, hindi tayo tutol sa anumang pag-angat pero kung hindi naman po ito makakabuti sa ating mga kababayan ay dapat nating unahin ang kapakanan at kalusugan ng mamamayan,” Espinosa stressed.

Wilson Sampang
Wilson Sampang
Wilson is a devout Catholic with a heart for service and leadership. Using his voice — both in song and in writing — to spread faith, hope, and truth. Always seeking God’s purpose in every story he tells and every life he touches.
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here
Captcha verification failed!
CAPTCHA user score failed. Please contact us!

Most Popular

Recent Comments